I love a good soup… and despite the fact that it is still 90 degrees outside… nothing starts off the Fall season with a hearty soup! I have to give credit where credit is due… otherwise, I won’t hear the end of it… but my mama is the one who made this recipe for my fam the first time last Fall… and I fell in love… or maybe it was food comma… either way I was sold! So now that it’s Fall and one of my Fall Bucket Items was to make a soup, I’m already ahead of the curve.
This sausage, kale and chickpea soup is so hearty and filling…. you might go without the two packages of meat, but my hubby wouldn’t be happy if I did that. It’s beyond easy, and I love a recipe you can prep, then clean up while it’s cooking so there’s less to do after you eat it.
- 2 Packages of Mild Italian Sausage (not in casings)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 Large Yellow Onion chopped
- 6 Cloves of Garlic minced
- 1 32 oz carton os Chicken Broth
- 1 28oz can of Crushed Tomatoes
- 1 16 oz can of diced tomatoes
- 1 28 oz can of chickpeas (drained & rinsed)
- 2 tablespoon of fresh basil chopped
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon of thyme
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1 teaspoon of pepper
- 1 bunch of kale (I’m not a fan of the stem, so I just remove use the leafy part)
- Brown Sausage in a pan on medium heat. Remove sausage and drain excess oil. Set sausage aside.
- Add olive oil to frying pan, and saute chopped onions until transparent (about 3 minutes). Add minced garlic and cook for another minute.
- In a large pot or slow cooker, combine sausage, onions, garlic, chicken broth, crushed tomatoes, diced tomatoes, chickpeas, basil, oregano, thyme, salt, kale and stir. Simmer on low for 30 minutes or until hot to taste… and then enjoy!
- Add Parmesean to taste.
NOTE: I didn’t fry in a different pan first because the slow cooker I use has a browning function that acts like a frying pan… so it’s essentially a one-pot dish with this AMAZING slow cooker. Click HERE for product details.