Hi, Love! My name is Cathy Durig. Most days you can find me chasing my naked nugget around the house, hoping to persuade him clothes are essentially "good". I'm a full-time mama who loves to photographer pretty people, with pretty things, in pretty locations.


Want to see me attempt to keep my sh*t together?

follow along


guilty pleasures...


candy... like all of it


disney movies


ice cold milk


anything christmas






the color white



let's connect





to-do lists

Brooks’ Birth Story



With only several weeks left until nugget #2 arrives, I wanted to spend some time chatting about my first born… my nugget, my ninja, my buddy, my booboo… Brooks. Most of you who know me, know that I am not a fan of being pregnant… like not at all. I know some woman have this connection with their babies while in the womb, but for me, it’s just a lot of heartburn and annoyance of having to pee every 20 minutes. With that being said… I LOVED giving birth… like LOVED it! It was like the ultimate rush… so many things are happening in less than 24 hours, and in the end you have this amazing baby who you instantly feel connected with… like you two have been best buds forever. So, to recap… pre-birth… not my thing… post-birth…DEFINITELY not my thing… but birth… so my thing. To preface Brooks’ birth story below, I’m not going to lie and say it doesn’t hurt, because it does, but I’ve never experienced so much pain that was worth every bit of it. Enjoy loves…


It was about 9:30 on Monday night when the contractions started. Well, to be honest, I didn’t know they were contractions yet… I figured it was either Braxton Hicks or just really bad gas. I didn’t want to psyche myself up just yet into thinking they were actual contractions because the last thing I wanted was to go to the hospital and be sent home because I wasn’t actually in labor or the contractions were too far apart for them to do anything. I waited until they were a little less than 10 minutes apart for at least an hour. Well, at about 1:30 AM… I woke Chris up and told him it was time. He shot out of bed and started to load the car. Notice I said “load’ the car… the amount of stuff we thought we needed at the hospital was waaaaay overstated! After what seemed like forever, we pulled out of the driveway and made our way to the hospital.

Throughout my pregnancy, I asked several people what contractions felt like or how would I know if I was having one. All found it difficult to put into words the level of pain… and now I understand! OH MY GOD… contractions are like getting food poisoning while having the flu at the sametime.. then times that about 1000. There’s a slight moment of recovery between each contraction, and knowing there would be an end kept me going. Now, explaining this level of pain to my loving husband on the way to the hospital, without yelling at him for going over the speed bumps so fast, was somewhat difficult. Or when we were walking into the hospital and he was trying “move” me along in the middle of a contraction by pushing me forward towards the nurse’s station… I’m not sure if I’ve ever heard such a demonic voice come out of me before! They checked us in in no time and found that upon arrival I was already 6cm dilated. After 45 minutes of waiting for the anesthesiologist, the pain continued to grow and grow, but I made it a point not to cry. However, all was soon forgotten when the epidural finally came into play. SHEER BLISS MY FRIENDS… SHEER BLISS!!

However, after receiving the epidural my blood pressure tanked causing little nuggets heart rate to drop from 140 to 70 in less than 30 seconds. They put my bed back immediately so my head was facing the floor and my feet were up in the air. The nurse turned urgently toward Chris and shoved something in a plastic bag and told him to open it immediately and hand it back to her. The doctor came in and told me there was a change of plans and that she needed to break my water and we couldn’t wait for my second dose of penicillin (I also had Strep B) to kick in. As soon as she broke my water, all was good. My blood pressure came back up and little nuggets heart rate returned to normal. Granted this whole fiasco lasted about 5 minutes, but in the moment it felt like an eternity. I kept staring at the monitor looking at his heart rate, hoping he was going to be ok. I’m getting teary-eyed just thinking back to those few minutes and how time had somewhat slow downed and everything I had, all my energy was focused on him.

Once the dust settled I was finally able to get some rest, Chris too. The room they had us in was huge, and off to the side just under the window was a small built-in couch. Chris made himself a bed with what extra linens the nurse gave him and fell asleep next to me.

At 7 AM there was a shift change, which I absolutely dreaded! I loved my first nurse Eileen and was scared I was not going to get someone as good as she. I was wrong, actually very wrong. Janet was everything I could have asked for and more. At around 8:30 AM Janet came in and checked my cervix, I was 10 cm. We got the go-ahead from the Dr and we started pushing at 9 AM. Notice I said “we”, all hands were on deck as me, Janet, Chris… and little nugget started to go to work. Chris had propped my left leg on his chest, and Janet did the same on my right… and the pushing began.

Now, I didn’t have a plan coming into the hospital, you could say I was on the ‘no plan’ plan, mainly because I didn’t want to be disappointed if something needed to change and my expectations of what was “supposed” to happen fell short. So, I didn’t know how long I was going to have to push for and really had nothing to compare it to. Two hours into pushing, yes TWO HOURS, little nugget had barely moved. Janet left for a moment to find the doctor and came back to tell me she was going to give us Petosin to speed up the time in between contractions to move things along. Well, they sure did! I went from having contractions every 4 minutes to every 2 minutes!

As the time came closer to noon, as did little nugget to making an entrance (or exit in his case) to the world. I was tired… like really tired… more like exhausted beyond belief. I have never put my body through anything like this before, and we were almost at 3 hours of pushing. Then Chris told me he could see the head… and I started crying, not because of the pain, but because I knew we were close and something about my husband seeing our son first got to me. I pushed as hard as I could and then Janet told me to reach forward… and I felt him. I felt his tiny hairy head and knew I was so close to seeing him! Janet called the nurse at the front desk and told her to find the Dr and a scrub nurse because we were ready! I was so excited at that moment, but it quickly faded when the Dr never showed up and Janet told me to stop pushing. Yes… after 3 hours of pushing… I was told to stop pushing! After what seemed like forever, Janet called the nurses station again and this time, she did not ask, she demanded, “GET THE DR IN HERE NOW!”. I could see Chris looking at Janet, and Janet looking down at little nugget and knew she was debating whether she should just deliver this baby on her own.

A minute later the Dr walked in and based on where I was laying, she could see everything and her only reaction was to say, “Woah, looks like we are ready!”. The scrub nurse never showed up, so it was just the four of us. The Dr told me to push, and I could feel him almost out of me, and just as I was about to push again she told me to hold on. I heard her ask Janet if it was still dropping, and I looked at the monitor because I knew they were referring to his heart rate again. Chris later told me after the first push with the Dr, he started to come out but the umbilical cord was wrapped around his neck causing his heart rate to drop yet again for the second time. The Dr quickly untangled him and told me to push again… and then at 12:05 on June 28, 2016, Brooks Patrick Durig entered our lives…. more like “slingshotted” into it as Chris had observed 😉

The Dr handed me our baby and I just sobbed. I could not believe, and still, can’t believe this little nugget is here. After 9 months of god-awful heartburn, countless double stuffed Oreos, and however many sleepless nights… he was finally here! Janet took him away for a moment to the corner of the room to clean him off and Chris went with them. I could here Brooks crying as the Janet wiped him down, but as I was looking back, I saw Chris put his hand on his back and he stopped crying immediately. The Dr sewed me up and said I had torn pretty bad, but I didn’t care, I just wanted to hold my son.

Janet handed me Brooks and my heart melted. I remember staring at his face and wondering if there was anything more precious in the entire world. The answer was no… well, no to me anyway 😉

We stayed in the hospital for two more nights. I about cried when Janet left that evening, but every nurse we had after was just as amazing. Especially Patty, who on our third night in the hospital found him sleeping on my chest. I must have dozed off and didn’t realize, and when I awoke she was in the room smiling at us. I told her how sorry I was and that I knew I wasn’t supposed to have fallen asleep with him on me, and she told me not to worry and that she had been checking in on us the entire time.

I barely slept those first couple nights. Granted I was exhausted, but the adrenaline kept me awake. The only time I’ve wanted to be around someone as much as I wanted to be around him was with Chris. And that’s a whole other story for another day, but I will say I’ve never loved my husband as much as I do now. Seeing him with our son is simply amazing. I’m overcome with so much emotion knowing and seeing how much Chris loves our son.

We left the hospital Thursday afternoon and though we weren’t her patients that morning, Janet came by to see us several times before we left. I was so happy to see her again, and even I cried when I hugged her goodbye as I got in the car to leave. She was undoubtedly my guardian angel throughout everything and I’m so lucky we had her there with us.

This entire story happened almost a year and half ago, and I could not be more grateful for this beautiful precious nugget. He makes Chris and I smile every single day! He is loved beyond words by so many and I’m so thankful to be his mama 🙂

I still cannot believe we’re about to do it again, but re-living this story gets me so excited to meet our newest member! I ready to be a mama again, and I’m really ready for this effing heartburn to end too 😉


Below are some of my favorites from our newborn session Brooks with Allison Kuhn Photography… enjoy loves!

Hair & Makeup by Sabrina of Be Pretty… ps my hair & makeup… the boys are all nature 😉