Christmas is over… the storage bins are out… and New Year’s Eve has settled upon us… reminding each and every one of the promises we made last year that we may or may not have kept. Yep… the Holiday Blues have officially settled in…. and it’s just downright depressing. But fear not my loves… I have some ideas to get you out of that slump, since un-slumping yourself is not easily done (side note… any guesses to which book Brooks and I are into recently.. haha??). Below are my 5 Cures for the Holiday Blues…
- Plan a Trip – Growing up… my mom experienced the holiday blues… bad… and my dad one day told her we should plan to go somewhere post-holiday so she wasn’t in such a post-holiday depressed state. Insert 8 trips to New Orleans for Mardi Gras all before I was 21 here! Yep, my family, all 6 of us would get excited about the upcoming celebration by planning a trip to one of the best and our personal family favorite cities ever. Mardi Gras usually lands somewhere around mid-February… so it was far enough out to actually plan… but close enough that we could all still get excited about going. For now, Chris and I are probably not heading to Mardi Gras since nugget #2 is due at the end of this month, but I am working on two trips for us this year… 1.) a trip for the whole family… probably somewhere beachy and 2.) a trip for just the hubs and I in the Fall… I’m thinking Greece or Italy. Planning a trip doesn’t have to be anything big, it just needs to be far away/interesting enough to get you excited about going somewhere else.
- Write Down Your 2018 Goals – I love goal setting… like LOVE IT!!!! Nothing gets me more excited about life than how I plan on making it the best ever. I wanted to do something a little different this year and incorporate mine and Chris’s goals together. Next week we are sneaking away to a coffee shop to goal-set for 2018! More on this to come, but if you’re looking for an easy way to get out of the Holiday Blues, writing down your goal(s) for the upcoming year will help kick-start your mental happy button… I promise.
- Clean House… literally – Yep… time to throw all the shit you’ve been stuffing into every cabinet, closet, drawer… out! I am notorious for just putting things places that have no purpose or reason for being there. The piles continue to add up, and now we are at the point where I can’t find a damn thing. It’s time to purge and get this stuff out of my house! Personally, I plan to go room by room since this would never be possible all in one a day (since I have so much crap)… and even just planning what rooms I intend to deep clean gets me thinking about something other than putting away all my pretty Christmas decor.
- Shop a Little – Yep… I said it… and I’m totally ok with saying it… spend a little cash! No joke, I have already purchased gifts for next Christmas, that’s how good these deals are right now. Where to shop? Head on over to my fave style blogger’s site and see where the best deals are right now… Southern Style Guide… she did a round-up of the best After-Christmas Sales and they are sweet!
- Take a Moment – This is the slowest time a year for everyone… so take moment for yourself. Have a cup of coffee on your front porch, go to the movies, snuggle up and watch a Netflix series…. just be. Be present to the fact that the year has almost ended, and it’s time for you to take a break. After our nugget went to sleep the other night, Chris and I watched Guardians of the Galaxy… by ourselves, the whole way through, uninterrupted, with no electronics present. I cannot tell you the last time I or we did this together, and it was really awesome. I know if you have little ones it’s hard to make this kind of time, but this is the least pressing time we have all year… so use it…. and use it on yourself.
What other ideas or recommendations do you have to get yourself out of the Holiday Blues… I’d love to hear… like, no really… I’d love to hear them 🙂